This delicious Red Velvet Cake was made by Lesley Kinghorn at the Old Post Office…
…and here’s the recipe:
Red Velvet Cake
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 free range eggs
5 tbsp Greek yogurt
3-4 drops red food colouring gel
200g sieved self raising flour
60g sieved cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
200g cream cheese
500g icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 180 deg C/gas mark 4
- Grease and line the bottom of two 20cm/8ins sandwich tins.
- Beat together in a large bowl the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract, eggs and a tablespoon of the self raising flour.
- In a separate bowl mix the yogurt with the food colouring gel thoroughly.
- Add the yogurt mixture together with the remaining flour, cocoa and baking powder to the large bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Bake for approximately 25 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool thoroughly.
- Icing – beat together all the icing ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake is cool, remove from the tins. Sandwich half of the icing between the two cakes, spreading the remainder on the top.
- You can always decorate the top with a few dried raspberries.